If you live in Florida, you have likely already heard the news that Hurricane Dorian is headed our way. Although the exact path is still uncertain, all possible paths appear to target Florida so it is important that you start preparing now.
Here are some tips to do your due diligence in advance of this storm:
* Call your pharmacy now to renew any medications you may be running low on. With the uncertainty of closures after the storm passes, it's better to be overstocked now than to run out later. Don't forget any medications you may need for your pets.
* Sign up for your community's warning system. You can start by using this link: https://www.fema.gov/integrated-public-alert-warning-system.
* Keep your car in good working condition and the gas tank full. Gas stations often run out of gas prior to a storm, so preparing early is always best.
* Have at least a 3 day supply of water, food, and cash as well as a flashlight, batteries, and first aid supplies.
* Keep important documents, including home or renter's insurance, safe and in a plastic container or safe.
* Keep your phone charged as long as possible before any potential power outages. If you have an external cell phone charger, charge that as well and keep in contact with your family and friends.
* Make plans for evacuation or sheltering in place based on the local recommendations.